While Auckland weather is often considered changeable, the "City of Sails" actually experiences over 2000 hours of sunshine every year. At Yourdrive, we see each of those hours as an invitation to get outside and make the most of the warmth! We've rounded up the 15 best things to do on a sunny day in Auckland, consider this your summer bucket list!
Want to get out but don't have a car to get around? Fear not, Yourdrive has got your back with over 300 privately-owned vehicles available to rent - directly from Auckland locals. You'll find a wide range of great-value vehicles in handy pickup locations across the city. Read on to get a sweet $20 discount on a Yourdrive rental!
15 Things to Do on a Sunny Day in Auckland:
- You’ve likely driven along Tamaki Drive many times but, have you walked the distance? The 10km walk is one of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of Auckland, particularly on a sunny day.
- Hop on a Fullers ferry to Waiheke Island. You’ll feel like you’re a million miles from the city but, in reality, it’s the island oasis is a 40-minute ride from downtown Auckland.
- Dust off your bicycle or grab an Onzo and experience life in the bike lane! Explore the Auckland cycleway network around Central, North, and West suburbs.
- Enjoy a taste of France at the La Cigale French Markets held in Parnell every weekend (Saturday from 8am to 1.30pm and Sunday from 9am to 1.30pm). Stock up on fresh produce and treat yourself to artisan cheeses and deli meats, fresh bread and pastries, and made to order crepes.
- Auckland isn’t called the "City of Sails” for nothing; one in three household’s own a boat – the highest rate in the world! Head out onto the water in your boat, or your neighbour's, for a spot of fishing or cast a line from land at Curran Street or on Okahu Bay Wharf.
- Host a picnic in the park with your pals! Pack a blanket and a dish for potluck sharing (think scones, bacon and egg pie, or potato salad) and head to Auckland Domain or Cornwall Park to soak in the sunshine and snack the afternoon away.
- If you haven’t walked up Rangitoto, are you really an Aucklander? Hop on the Fullers ferry from downtown Auckland (or Devonport) and cruise across the harbour to Auckland’s newest and largest volcano.
- See if you can beat the heat and consume an artisan gelato from Giapo before it melts! If you make it out of the door of the Gore Street store with a fully intact ice cream creation, we recommend heading to Britomart's Takutai Square where there are beanbags for lounging and water fountains to wash your sticky hands in.
- Take a dip in one of Auckland's public pools. Our picks are the iconic Parnell Baths and historic Point Erin Pools. Both have large pools that are perfect for both competitive and leisure swimmers of all ages.
- Put your balance to the test paddle boarding! Hire a SUP from Fergs at Okahu Bay and head out onto the water for an hour or two.
- Pick your own strawberries at Phil Greig Strawberry Farm. It's $8.50 per kilo of produce and, yes, you can eat as much as you want as you pick!
- Grab a blanket and sit under the stars while watching a film at one of the many Movies in Parks events between January and March. There are a range of recent blockbusters and kiwi classics playing, suitable for the whole family.
- Head to Piha to watch the surfers or get amongst the waves yourself. If you’re not a confident surfer, Piha is a great place to learn as it's the safest beach on Auckland’s West Coast. We’d recommend getting a lesson from one of the instructors from Piha Surf School before heading out.
- Visit Tiritiri Matangi Island, a wildlife sanctuary just a short 360 Discovery ferry ride from Whangaparaoa Peninsula. This predator-free island is home to an estimated 71 species of birdlife, many of which are rare and endangered native birds.
- Head out of Auckland for a day trip adventure! There are so many epic places to visit within an hour's drive of Auckland City. Check out the Yourdrive Blog for inspiration.
Yourdrive lets you rent the perfect car for your next adventure for less, directly from locals.
Sign up to Yourdrive with the promo code ADVENTURE20 to get $20 off your first Yourdrive rental.
Don't let any wet weather dampen your spirits or stop you from getting out and having fun, there are loads of cool activities for rainy days too. Check out our top 15 things to do in Auckland when it's raining.