Crowded House weren't lying when they sang about experiencing four seasons in one day in Auckland. It can be beaming with sunshine when you leave the house and, before you even reach your destination you will have been through a torrential downpour of rain and gale force winds! Despite living in Auckland for ages, we’ve never learned our lesson and will always fail to prepare for the potential conditions.
As much as we wish we could control the weather, we can't so we're just going to have to embrace it and not allow the rain to dampen our spirits or stop us from getting out and having fun! To help you see the light, we’ve rounded up 15 things to do on a rainy day in Auckland—and no, snuggling up on the couch watching Netflix isn’t one of them!
Want to get out but don't have a car to get you there? Fear not, Yourdrive has got your back with over 300 privately-owned vehicles available to rent - directly from Auckland locals. You'll find a wide range of great-value vehicles in handy pickup locations across the city. Read on to get a sweet $20 discount on a Yourdrive rental!
- Visit the snow without having to drive to the mountain! Snowplanet in Silverdale is NZ’s first and only indoor snow dome where you can ski and snowboard all year round. Don’t worry if you don’t own gear or are a newbie to snow sports, you can hire equipment and get a lesson with an instructor here.
- Educate yourself on all things New Zealand history and culture at the Auckland War Memorial Museum. Admission is free for Aucklanders with proof of residence.
- Visit the Ponsonby pool hall and brush up on your billiards! Whether you’re an expert or amateur, the team and atmosphere is super welcoming and relaxed.
- Practice your swing or blow some steam off at the Golf Warehouse Driving Range. They have locations on both sides of the bridge, Ellerslie and Takapuna.
- Whether you’re young or young at heart, you’re never too old for games. Play in virtual reality spaces through state-of-the-art VR technology at Virtual Reality Studio!
- Venture onto the rink at Paradice Ice Skating in Avondale and Botany. If you’re as coordinated as a baby giraffe, we’d recommend hiring a frame for a small additional cost!
- Test your lateral thinking with an Escape Room! Grab a group of mates and work together to solve a series of puzzles to escape before time runs out.
- Live out all your fast & furious fantasies at Blastacars! Strap into your 390cc kart and race against 12 other drivers on the indoor track.
- Catch an indie flick at the Academy Cinemas, located underground in the city. Screening tickets are less pricey than the regular cinema and only $5 on Wednesday nights!
- Tour the Tip Top ice cream factory and see how they make their delicious desserts. Spoiler alert: You get to eat ice cream at the end!
- Explore the picturesque Wintergardens in the Auckland Domain. Designed in the early 1900’s, it has two Victorian-style glass houses - one is heated and shows off lush tropical and heat-loving plants while the other displays temperate plants changing with the seasons.
- Learn the ropes (literally) with indoor rock climbing at ClimbZone Extreme Edge. It's heaps of fun and a great workout.
- Hit a hole-in-one at Gloputt, Takapuna’s indoor glow-in-the-dark miniature golf course.
- Hop on a ferry and head to the tropical Hauraki Gulf! Waiheke Island is usually few degrees warmer than the mainland but, regardless, everything’s always better by the beach.
- There's something soothing about soaking in a hot pool while rain falls around you! Head to Waiwera Thermal Resort or Parakai Springs for a relaxing soak in a hot pool or a thrill ride down the hydro slides.
Yourdrive lets you to rent the perfect car for your next adventure for less, directly from locals.
Sign up to Yourdrive with the promo code ADVENTURE20 to get $20 off your first Yourdrive rental.