How to get a COF for Your Car

chevron_left See all posts

Instructions - How to get a COF for your car

All YourDrive vehicles require a Certificate of Fitness (COF) and change of use before they can be listed live on the site. This ensures that owners are complying with NZTA rules and regulations around rental vehicles and that the vehicle is safe to be used as a rental car.

Luckily, it is a really simple process:

  1. Take your car to VTNZ and ask for a "first time CoF".
  2. Fill out a change of use form (MR14).

You can find your nearest VTNZ branch here.

Important info for getting your CoF

Make sure you complete registering your car on Yourdrive to receive an email with detailed COF instructions including YourDrive's Transport Service Licence (TSL) number which you will need to quote in order to get a COF.

Change of Use

At the VTNZ you’ll need to fill out an MR14 form and change the use from a private passenger car (01) to a rental car (07), the form only takes a couple minutes to complete. There is usually a small licence fee associated with changing use, depending on the model of your car, typically around $20-$30, if applicable. This is due to the change in ACC levies on a rental car licence as opposed to a private passenger car. 

About the CoF

The COF is basically the same as a WOF for rental vehicles and costs the same. You will no longer require a WOF and can just get a COF from now on instead, so no additional cost over and above what you would normally pay for a 6 monthly WOF anyway.

Getting a CoF is simple and does not restrict you own private use of your vehicle. You can switch back to a WoF / private passenger car licence at any time by carrying out the reverse process at VTNZ.

Listing Approved!

Once you have your COF, log in to Yourdrive and attach a photo of the test certificate under the section Certificate of Fitness on the My Vehicles page.


Posted by Andrew Norman on 10th of May, 2016