How to Take Great Photos of Your Car!
Why are photos so important for renting your car out?
Photos sell your car to potential renters, so taking great photos is probably the most important part of a great vehicle listing!
We maintain a high standard of photos at YourDrive and do not allow cars without photos to be listed. We're also constantly working with our owners to improve their photos and to get the best results from their listings.
It is possible to get great photos of your car with your smartphone, so you've got no excuse! Here are a few tips to help you take great photos.
Tips for Taking Great Photos
#1 Hold your phone sideways (in landscape)
DO NOT use your camera in portrait (upright). ALWAYS use your camera landscape (sideways). Your images will better fit the aspect ratio of our image uploader and gallery on the website.
#2 Clean your car!
No one wants to rent a dirty car and your car will appear dirty to potential renters, even if in reality you clean it before every rental. Clean both inside and outside and remove all accessories you don't want to be included when renting your car out.
#3 Choose a nice day to take photos
Take photos when the sun is shining. Everyone likes a little sunshine and your smartphone will perform significantly better in the sunshine than it will in low light conditions. Make sure you are shooting across the sun or with the sun behind you to avoid washed out photos.
#4 Avoid blur by taking multiple shots
Sometimes a photo will come out blurry because of your hand shaking, especially when the light is not too good. Take two or three pictures from each angle and choose the clearest one.
#5 Choose a nice location
Get a background of a park, lake, sea or city skyline for your main image at least. This helps convey the feeling of adventure.
Taking Photos of Your Car
1. The main image should be looking onto the front driver corner of the car, from a slightly elevated position (as if taking a photo from waist to shoulder height). This is the most common angle to shoot cars from (as below).
2. Also include images of the front, side and back of the car.
3. Make sure you fit the whole car clearly within the frame of the photo, leaving enough space around the car. You can always zoom in later with our image uploading tool.
4. You want to give the renter an idea of what it would be like sitting in your car, so a front interior shot is really important.
5. A shot of the rear seats and a shot of the trunk/boot space give an idea of the space in the rest of the car and are useful for those carrying other passengers or luggage.
6. Last, but not least, use a simple photo editing software like Microsoft Office Picture Manager or Apple's Photos to enhance the photos. You can increase the contrast and saturation on washed out photos to improve their vibrancy.
Check out these examples of great photos!
And of course, if you need any advise, feel free to get in touch with us, we're here to help!